Friday 22 May 2020

OLYMPIASTADION BERLIN

With the first tentative steps of the return of football taking place in Germany, I thought I'd show you this unusual photo ... 


It shows the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, with the Bundesliga team, Hertha BSC, training on the pitches next to it.

The stadium is of course forever linked with the Olympic Games of 1936, for which it was built.
Remarkably it had stayed virtually unchanged for nearly 70 years.
When I took this photo, around 2004, it was being updated and modernised in time for the 2006 World Cup finals, and was only just then getting a roof added to the original stadium.

The pic was taken from the nearby, and eye-wateringly high, Bell Tower.

At the time the whole complex felt like little had changed since 1936.
I have to say, I felt a strange atmosphere around the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment