Tuesday 26 November 2019

ART DECO LIGHT

One of my latest projects has been to create a unique Art Deco light ...

I found an old box at a boot fair and instantly had the idea, literally a 'light bulb moment'!!


The box is actually a loud speaker, called a 'Popular Loud Speaker', first made by the Ormond Engineering Co. Ltd in 1929.
With its fabulous sun ray design, it was just asking to have a bit of Art Deco style added to it.

This is an original advert for the Ormond Loud Speaker. ©www.radiomuseum.org

It was in a bit of a state when I bought it though, as it had been roughly covered 
in black paint, which fortunately I managed to peel off.
It revealed a gorgeous rich mahogany wood, that I restored and waxed, to bring it back to its original state.

I added a lamp inside the box, putting in a great vintage style candle bulb to add to the period feel.



I then had the idea of having a backdrop at the back of the box. I thought a big close-up picture of the screen legend Jean Harlow would be perfect, as she epitomises the glamour of the Art Deco era.







Not only does the finished article look like a cool vintage item, but when switched on creates a really unique and atmospheric light.







So if there are any Deco fans out there, who fancy a stylish light for their living room, then lucky you, as this is for sale!!!

Just get in touch for details, or find it at my next fair, the Crispin Hall Vintage Market, in the town of Street in Somerset, on Saturday 7th December!!




No comments:

Post a Comment