Monday 15 April 2013

RETRO EVERTON

Welcome to my latest RETRO FOOTBALL collage...
From the blue half of Merseyside... EVERTON.


I've put together this tribute to the famous old club using items from my own collections, some dating back to the 1920s.

Striker JOE ROYLE presides over proceedings here. I chose him as not only did the burly frontman win the League title with EVERTON in 1970, but he also won them the F.A. Cup as manager 25 years later. A truly iconic figure in the club's folklore.

I have a great selection of the Toffeemen's programmes, so I was able to introduce a few here. The oldest one, from 1958, shows their Goodison Park ground in all its glory. There is a number of 70s and 80s programmes as well, but my favourite is the one from 1971. With its startlingly bold and simplistic design and typography it stands out head and shoulders above the rest. See below to see what I mean!

Interesting to see how Goodison Park looked in 1958.

Fantastic bold design on this 1971 programme, featuring striker David Johnson.


I found a great line-up of player portraits from the 1959/60 Charles Buchan's Soccer Gift Book. Also in there was a poster of loyal 50s goalkeeper ALBERT DUNLOP.

Great portraits from the 1959/60 squad.

Amongst my collection of enamal badges was a typical 70s Coffer Sports badge, in the shape of a number 1.

Classic badge from the 1970s, with the Prince Rupert's Tower in the background.


Classic stickers are also featured. From the 1970s, a club badge, goalscoring machine BOB LATCHFORD and bustling midfielder ANDY KING, legends of the trophy laden 1980s teams are represented by NEVILLE SOUTHALL, JOHN BAILEY and GARY STEVENS. There's also a trading card from 1977 of defender MICK LYONS.

Club badge from Football '76 sticker album.


An Evertonian favourite from 1978.


Going further back in time are the cigarette cards. One is of SAM CHEDGZOY, a Canadian born winger from 1926 and England striker TOMMY LAWTON from 1938. Curiously, this card is captioned J. LAWTON, an odd mistake for such a well known player.

Note the mistake, he was definitely a T!



My absolute favourite item of the whole collage is the cigarette card of DIXIE DEAN.
This fabulous portrait of the famous striker is by MAC and dates from 1927. Dean was a phenomenal player, who fired his team to the League Championship in 1927/28 by scoring an incredible 60 goals. A record never likely to be beaten.

The wonderful Dixie Dean card from John Player & Sons.


I hope all EVERTON fans will enjoy this historical journey through their history.

I'm stil hunting through the ArtPix archives to find other teams to do. I recently started a QPR collage, but realised I didn't quite have enough items to do them justice! I have quite a lot of material from CHARLTON, LEYTON ORIENT and CRYSTAL PALACE, so I may do those next, as I really want to do all the London clubs. Watch this space!

And also check out my website to view all the other footie collages I've done so far.
http://www.mattartpix.com/#!pix/vstc1=footie

No comments:

Post a Comment