Sunday 30 December 2018

RETRO FOOTIE

Over the holidays I've been thinking I must add to my list of retro football collages I've designed.

So as I live in Dorset, it makes perfect sense to do the nearest League team to me, Dorset's very own Premier League team – BOURNEMOUTH!

And not far down the road from there is another top team – SOUTHAMPTON

So it looks like I've got my work cut out then!!

I've started sifting through the Retro Football Department in the ArtPix Storeroom for ideas, and have already found a few gems!!



Below is a fantastic programme from 1965, when Bournemouth were known as Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic.
This is an FA Cup 1st Round clash with soon-to-be-Dorset local rivals Weymouth.
The non-leaguers held Bournemouth to a shock 0-0 draw, but were soundly beaten 4-1 in the replay.






This is a team group photo from the 1974/75 season, featuring a young looking Harry Redknapp!!
They are wearing one of my all-time favourite retro football kits. It had a fantastic newly-designed club badge and super-Seventies retro black and white vertical stripes!





Here we have a Southampton programme from 1975. 
It has a brilliantly designed cover. Multiple action shots, outrageously retro typography, and clear info enclosed in a neat red circle in the middle. A perfect design!
Defender Mel Blyth scored the only game of the game in a 1-0 win for the Saints.
A lot of the team playing that day would go on and win the FA Cup only a year later.




Lovely poster from the 1960/61 season featuring four proper old-school footballers!
One of them, Terry Paine, is also a proper legend, playing over 800 games for Southampton and staying there until 1974! 
 


If you want to see all the teams I've done so far, have a look HERE
See if your fave team is there, if not, get in touch and I'll design one for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment