Thursday 7 August 2014

BATTERSEA POWER STATION

Hi folks!

Here is another one of my random pics of the day....

BATTERSEA POWER STATION!

Although here of course it has my usual vintage twist to it...
I've added a few of my favourite characters and some new ones too, all from her golden era of the 30s to the 50s!

I took the photo of the old power station a couple of years ago. We were in the area doing a spot of research into the Festival of Britain sites in nearby Battersea Park and to take a peep at the Barbara Hepworth sculpture. After wandering across the bridge I thought I should take a picture of the iconic building before the developers move in.

Yes, thats right, one of London's finest cultural icons will be dwarfed by terrible blocks of flats and the building itself will probably be unrecognisable very soon.

It was always going to happen of course, I'm just amazed that it's taken so long. The fabulous Art Deco icon was decommissioned in 1983, after a 50 year service. Since then many people have tried and failed to come up with a master plan for her, but I think anything would've been better than what's going to happen.

So here she is, London's grand old lady....


No comments:

Post a Comment