Wednesday 15 August 2012

MANCHESTER CITY

As the new football season dawns on us once again, I thought now is a good time to unveil my new collage of MANCHESTER CITY...



The newly crowned Premier League Champions seemed a perfect subject. New fans will be eager to learn of their new club and old fans can perhaps reminisce of simpler times!!

As with all my RETRO FOOTBALL collages I've spent ages plundering my collections, this time bringing you a real taste of the moneybags of Manchester's history.

Starting with the main picture, we have City legend Francis Lee. The expert penalty-taker who played a huge role in the club's trophy laden spell of the late 60s and early 70s.

Highlights include goalkeeper Bert Trautmann, broken neck hero of the 1956 F.A. Cup Final, images of the iconic 1976 League Cup Final, with Dennis Tueart's famous overhead kick, and Top Trump card of fans favourite Colin Bell.

Colin Bell featuring in the classic Top Trump card game.

City programme from 1966 also features in the collage.


My particular favourites are the cigarette cards from the 1920s that I found in an antique shop in Dorset. One featuring a caricature of S.W. Austin by the artist Mac and the other of City striker Frank Roberts drawn by Rip.

My faves, the 1920s cigarette cards!



See who else you can spot in this collage!

I'll keep you posted of any new collages throughout the season. Let me know which teams you would like to see!

Check out all the teams I've done so far here:
http://www.mattartpix.com/#!pix/vstc1=footie

No comments:

Post a Comment